This week’s Friday Five!Read More
Happy New Year!
This will different than my usual sporadic posting that I do on this blog, but Hey! It's a new year. Why not switch it up? I have seen several blogs that I follow use this kind of format for a monthly or weekly update post, and I'm going to try it out!
1. What we're eating this week... Monday: Baked Potato Soup Tuesday: Chicken Enchiladas Wednesday: Crock Pot Bolognese Thursday: Leftovers Friday: Mini Turkey Meatball Vegetable Soup Saturday: Leftovers Sunday: Baked Chicken Parmesan
2. What I'm reminiscing about... Mack at Christmas time! Oh, this boy... I could just eat him up. He was so sweet talking about Santa, Rudolph and Baby Jesus. He got a play kitchen from Santa and he absolutely loved it! We both look like goobers in this picture, but I wanted to post it anyway. This was taken at my sister's Christmas party she hosted. I loved being able to share this day with Mack!
3. What I'm loving My new LuMee Case The Simpson Sisters & their spouses decided to draw names this year and do a "Secret Santa" instead of buying gifts for everyone this year. I loved it and I hope we make it a tradition from now on! My sister, Michelle drew my name and she hit the jackpot! This case is my dream come true. Basically, it is a case with a light on the front so your selfies always have perfect lighting.I found this awesome graphic online to explain:
4. What we've been up to... Major de-cluttering and cleaning! I'm ashamed to say, this was the "Before" of my pantry. Honestly, when I'm cleaning my house or getting ready for company, the last thing I think about is my pantry! But, after the holidays were over, I decided to tackle it. The After: Yay! It looks so much better. Everything has a place, and I threw away TWO trash bags FULL of expired food or just junk we didn't need/use anymore. We were cooking dinner last night and it was so nice to know exactly where everything was!
5. What I'm dreading... If it's already happening, can I still be dreading it? Blah. School starting back after a wonderful Christmas break truly is dreadful!
6. What I'm working on... I'm not big into "resolutions", mainly because they never stick... But, I do have some "goals". I have rejoined Weight Watchers and have started going back to the meetings again. I really want to lose weight and get back on the healthy train... Here's to 2017 being "the year"!
7. What I'm excited about... My Winter Decor!
I love holidays and seasonal decor... So, this year when I was buying some new Christmas decorations, I was mindful to buy some "winter" decorations that could stay up during January and February... The house is always so cold and depressing after the Christmas decorations go up, so I'm glad I planned this! It's not much, but it brings a little something extra to this dreary time of year!
8. What I'm watching... Ah, January... The lull between all our shows going on Winter break... Every season, I say I'm going to watch the next season of The Bachelor. But, I just can't let it go!
9. What I'm listening to... Audible! I love audio books... Who knew?! I've always wanted to be a reader, but I can never commit to actually reading... Lol I am already on my 4th book since joining at the beginning of December. Uninvited by Lysa TerKeurst is the current selection.
10. What I'm wearing...
Today is the first day back to school since Christmas break, so if I'm being honest, "What I've been wearing" is B's tshirts and leggings... But, I wore this shirt yesterday, and it got lots of laughs from my friends and coworkers! : ) Found at Jane.com
11. What I'm doing this weekend... I'm kind of on a roll with cleaning and organizing my house, so it will probably be very boring and full of more de-cluttering! My next goal is to empty the kitchen cabinets and drawers, wipe them all out, and reorganize. This is the calendar I've been using as a guide:
12. What I'm looking forward to next week... As part of our attempt to be better about saving money and sticking to a budget, we are trying to eat at home more and out less. I'm looking forward to our *planned* date night out next Saturday night!
Happy New Year, Ya'll!
Oh, January... You are the longest month ever. 31 days with no paycheck. 31 days of cold. It's such a long 31 days... And we still have 8 left! I mentioned in my last post that we are trying to clean out our freezer and quit eating out so much... We challenged ourselves to not eat out at all this month, and while we haven't been perfect, we have eaten out A LOT less than we usually do, so I'd call that a win!
One of the things we dug out of the chest freezer was some cubed steak. B decided to try a "light" Country Fried Steak recipe from Bobby Deen. You can check out the recipe here. It was baked rather than fried and the gravy was made with half and half instead of milk... It was 497 calories for the steak, gravy, rice and green beans. Not too bad considering the nutrition facts for this exact meal at a chain restaurant was over 800 calories! Nice job, B.
Our youth group is starting a new series on purity, and we haven't met in a while, so we decided to meet this week. Taylor wasn't feeling well, but rather than cancel, he decided to be facetimed into the meeting... We are totally high tech at Northside! ; )
On Thursday, we celebrated our 100th day of school! Our kids were so excited. We did a lot to celebrate the day, including making necklaces with 100 fruit loops! I'm fairly certain I ate about 300 fruit loops during the process... I don't remember the last time I ate Fruit Loops and I forgot how good they were!
B and I have been going to the gym since the new year as part of our resolutions... I haven't worked out consistently in a long time, so it feels so good to be back at it! But, my muscles are like WHAT THE HECK so I decided to accept my fate as an old lady and relax in an Epsom salt bath the other night... I've always heard of the "healing powers" of Epsom salt, so I decided to give it a shot! I'm not sure if it did anything, but it felt good!
I also started school again this week. I'm so ready to be finished! I have major "senioritis"! I will graduate in May, and it cannot come quick enough... 3 more classes, and I will be an official college graduate. Man, I can't wait! Working full time along with being a full time student has been a challenge, but I know it will be worth it in the end.
These are some of my favorite things this month: A (Free) Spotify subscription (thanks Michelle!) and this amazing candle I got as a Christmas gift. I have burnt the whole thing down in less than a month, but I'm pretty sure I will be repurchasing this scent. It is amazing! These 2 songs have been on my "school work" play lists and pretty much repeat.
It has been so cold these past few days. I don't really mind the cold, mainly because I love my boots and over-sized sweaters, but I'm itching for springtime. Coffee has been my friend lately... I have been drinking multiple cups a day, which I only do during the very cold months. I tried to take a cool and artsy photo of my cream, but I failed. Humor me, okay?
Around midnight last night, it started to snow! We watched it fall for a little while, but then headed to bed. This is what we woke up to today! I wish we had gotten more so we could really enjoy it, but at least we got a little... It's certainly not much, but in middle Georgia, this is enough to shut the city down. : )
Maxx is happy that we didn't get too much snow. He hates the cold. Bless his heart! He and I are snuggling now on the couch, and me and B are catching up on The Blacklist from our DVR. Today is a good day!